Sunday, February 8, 2015

2/9 Weekly Update #20: Venti

Dear Reader,

There are 3 sizes of drinks at Starbucks. You can get a Tall, Grande, or Venti, aka Small, Medium, and Large. However, this system makes no sense. In no universe does small mean tall. Grande is literally "big" in Spanish. However, the most ridiculous one is Venti. Venti means 20 in Latin. Hello, yes, I'd like a size 20 coffee please. Yet, it works. I'd like to think Starbucks does this on purpose. From a marketing point of view, it just sounds so much more empowering to say "venti" than "large", which often comes with negative connotation (thanks to our health-conscious society). Additionally, saying "tall" and knowing that you purchased a "tall" drink could boost consumer satisfaction, because "tall" obviously sounds like you got so much more than if you said "small".

This past week, I have been working on my Final Product. I had my second mentor visit, and received approval to finally disclose who my mentor is.

My mentor is Scott Eagle, an Account Supervisor at Slingshot LLC, an advertising agency. When I went for my second visit for him, we basically hashed out a plan for my final product, which is going to be an advertising campaign for a small business. The steps (not in any particular order) include:
Competitive Research (category trends) (martial arts or rec sports)
Stakeholder interviews
Developing a Creative Brief
Analyzing the business situation (micro/macro environment)
Insights/Research (consumer trends)

And many more. Tomorrow, I will give a 25 minute speech over my ISM journey so far. Wish me luck.
Until next time,

Eileen Bau