Monday, February 23, 2015

2/23 Weekly Update #22: I'm Feeling...

Dear Reader,

There is a catchy pop song by one Taylor Swift called "22", with the famous tagline: "I don't know about you / but I'm feeling 22 / everything will be alright if / you keep me next to you."
The entire song is about feeling young and free, despite any obstacles or burdens a person may have. In times like these, such a song is comforting. Though ISM doesn't have any big events coming up immediately, on the horizon lurks Final Presentation Night, where we must each give a 30-40 minute speech on our journey this year along with present our boards for about 1.5 hours. It is the culmination of this year. And it is May 15.

May 15 comes at the end of a two-week testing period for AP exams. During those 2 weeks, I will probably experience vast amounts of stress. So as a result, I'm attempting to do as much work as I can now to avoid having to do more work than necessary during those two weeks.

This past week, I had the privilege of going on another mentor visit. During this visit, I met Slingshot LLC's Senior Media Planner, Production Supervisor, and my mentor's team that works with him on a certain client account. The highlight of my day was definitely getting to attend a team meeting where a new ad was being discussed. Though probably a very routine meeting for everyone else in attendance, I was amazed by the way each person contributed to the discussion. The team was clearly comfortable with one another, and thus also excellent at communicating. When trying to figure out the best placement for the ads, what to put on each part of the ad, and part of the wording that would go on the ad, the team looked at it from the consumer’s point of view. This isn’t any new concept: every ad agency does this. However, what stood out to me was they way that they not only looked at it from the consumer’s point of view, but the way they manipulated it from the consumer’s point of view. They brought up possibilities that I would’ve never thought of, and bounced their ideas off of each other to create the best possible outcome.


Until next time,
Eileen Bau