Monday, February 23, 2015

2/16 Weekly Update #21: Blackjack

Dear Reader,

If you are not familiar with card games, this title probably doesn't make sense. However, 21 is the magical number in the game Blackjack (in which you attempt to make a sum of 21 from your cards- and luck- to win).

I feel like Blackjack is a pretty accurate description of what I'm doing right now. In Blackjack, you start out with two cards. Based off of the values on these cards, you can ask the dealer for another card or pass. The goal is to get the value of the cards to add up as closely as possible to 21 without busting over it. With ISM, that's how it feels sometimes with the workload. You take on as much as possible to guarantee maximum quality without going over your limit. Otherwise, it's a bust, because then the quality of your work isn't very good.

This past week, I have been ever more aware of the fact that I have a limit. Though ISM hasn't been too demanding lately, I am still on a tight self-imposed timeline for my Final Product. Everything that I'm doing for it is wholly new to me, and I have to do it well and in a timely fashion.

The redeeming fact about all of this is that it's fun for me. I like being challenged, as much as I may complain about it. Additionally, for my Final Product, it's all pure marketing and advertising work, which is something that I actually enjoy, unlike slogging through calculus homework (however, I understand math is important and thus calculus is a necessary evil). This has been a quiet, but busy week. Next week, I'll meet again with my mentor and get even more of an experience into this strange, fascinating world of advertising.

Regards,
Eileen Bau