Sunday, November 30, 2014

12/1 Weekly Update #12: Twelve by Twelve

Dear Reader,

The standard size that scrapbook paper is sold in is 12 in. x 12 in.
Why do I know this?
Because over the past week (aside from eating turkey, Chinese style) I have bought many sheets of scrapbook paper for ISM.

What does scrapbook paper have to do with marketing? Quite a lot, actually. You see, for the upcoming Research Showcase each student must make a tri-fold board to present their research for the year. Scrapbook paper is used on these boards to make them look clean-cut and professional, which ultimately goes back to me marketing myself through my board.

My board is social-media themed. At first, I wanted to incorporate as many advertising mediums as I could in it, but quickly realized this was a) unrealistic and b) unrelatable to the general public. Therefore, I decided to make my entire board social-media themed because a) it's the new "it" thing in marketing and b) practically everyone has at least some degree of familiarity with it.

I wanted to make my board stand out. At Research Showcase, I will be just one of many ISM students there to present. We are all competing for the attention of our audience. (It's a come-and-go event; people will be walking around hallways that we've set up our own booths in). So as detailed in the last post, I decided to make my board interactive. The center of my tri-fold has a giant blank magnetic section. At Research Showcase, I will pose a question (marketing-related, most likely to do with packaging) and poll all those who come by. They will place their magnet (vote) in their chosen answer column. This way, not only do people get a chance to interact with my board, I also get to conduct a small focus group (research!).

I am equal parts excited and nervous for Research Showcase. Hopefully, this board turns out as dynamite as it is in my head. There are always many complications to be had on the path from brainstorming to reality.

Until next time,
Eileen Bau