Sunday, November 9, 2014

11/10 Weekly Update #10: Tentatively Tenacious

Dear Reader,

This past week has been progressive. I wish all weeks were like it.

Firstly, I presented my research speech, a 10-12 minute spiel on what I've learned about Marketing/Advertising so far. This is important because it is the longest speech I've given in my entire life. I have never, ever had the undivided attention of the room for that long. It was thrilling, and nerve-wracking, and such an adrenaline rush. With this speech, I really feel like I'm beginning to unlock what I can do as a speaker. Before this week, I did speeches that were mainly below 5 minutes. But now that I know I can give a speech for an extended period of time, there are so many more possibilities to explore. The reason this post is titled tentatively tenacious is because that's how I feel about my speaking at the moment. I already am a strong speaker, but I have plenty to improve on. I want to become a stronger one, and so I'm planning on strategically trying out some new, unorthodox things in my next speech. Tentatively tenacious. Carefully aggressive.

Secondly, I had an amazing interview which led to an impromptu second interview, bumping my total number of interviews up to 11 (so sadly, I couldn't use that for the pun in the title as originally planned...but it's okay). This interview opened up some more opportunities with me which I will be exploring soon. Although time is beginning to run out for me to find a mentor, I'm not panicking because that's no use.

Thirdly, I've started watching the TV series Mad Men. No, this isn't an accomplishment, but I really like the series. Aside from the dramatization, it's got quite a few good tidbits about advertising and marketing, and it offers a unique glimpse into the ad agencies of the past. Racism and sexism aside (not that they should ever be put aside), the ad agencies of old are fascinating and we still learn a lot from them today.

And so, I am one week closer to the end of my journey. I hope that you are enjoying it as much as I am.

Until next week,
Eileen Bau