Thursday, March 19, 2015

3/23 Weekly Update #25: Quarters

Dear reader,

We call coins quarters because 25/100 = 1/4. However, the word quarter has many meanings. The verb quarter also means to basically slice someone to death (this expression belongs a series of three: hanged, drawn, and quartered), and another noun form of quarter means living space. In a similar fashion, marketing has multiple definitions. In fact, it's difficult to even define marketing because a) it's such a broad field, b)it's forever changing, and c)everyone has different opinions on what the term means.

However, I believe that even though we have universally agreed to disagree on what exactly marketing is, we have universally agreed that it is difficult. I've written earlier on that marketing isn't something that can be learned in a textbook (to a certain extent), but that marketing (of any kind) takes experience in the real world. I am lucky enough to have a mentor that gives me plenty of these opportunities. This past week, I went on another mentor visit, in which I sat in on a client meeting. Besides learning more about how my mentor and his team have been developing a specific ad, I learned more about how to communicate with clients.

Whenever my mentor speaks with his clients, he is assertive but not aggressive, firm but not demanding. It's important to find the right way to approach clients and talk to them. Establishing camaraderie or using humor can also help greatly.  Being able to work effectively with a client entails being able to listen to what they are saying, but it also entails being able to tell them (in the correct fashion) when their views don't line up with yours. In the end, the client is in control, but as someone who is responsible for advising them on marketing/strategic decisions, you are entitled to provide them with the knowledge and information to make their decisions.

As I continue sitting in on these meetings and seeing ads progress from being an idea to a reality, I come to appreciate more and more the work that goes into every facet of an advertisement. Additionally, as I continue working on my final product, I come to appreciate more and more the thought that goes into every facet of branding. Though I've got less than a quarter of the year left, being able to live these experiences has helped me quarter my way through the mystery surrounding marketing and create my own quarters in this field.

Until next week,
Eileen Bau