Monday, January 5, 2015

1/5 Weekly Update #15: Quinceanara

Dear reader,

The past couple of weeks have been amazing. I've been on winter break for the past 2 weeks (which why I've been MIA), but now I'm ready to get back to work. This update will be written about the week before winter break.

To recap (from Weekly Update #14): I needed to find a mentor before the semester ended. Research Showcase was also coming up.

Tuesday was Research Showcase. It was exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. I've been working on my display board for hours and this event was basically the culmination of the first semester. Additionally, several school officials, professionals, and people important to me attended. I am satisfied with my performance. Basically, I knew that I had to stand out among the dozens of displays, so I set up a little marketing survey (data/results and analysis posted soon) in which each person physically put a sticker on my display (kind of like crowdsourced art/research). This data will be used as a preliminary study to help me plan my Original Work. (If you're confused about what this is, I believe it was addressed it Weekly Update #13)

On Thursday, I went to Slingshot LLC, an advertising agency in Dallas. I had a series of interviews with several professionals in their team, and they were all brilliant. However, in an even more exciting turn of events...I found a mentor! I haven't yet asked my mentor if I can publicly release details about them on this blog, so for now it will be kept under wraps. But I can tell you I am infinitely excited because I know that this mentorship will be invaluable.

The reason this post is entitled Quinceanara (A Latin-American tradition in which a girl celebrates her 15th birthday with a special religious ceremony and party) is because besides being the 15th week, this week was better than any birthday present anyone could for. I successfully found a mentor and proved that I'm not just another student interested in marketing, but that I am a student actively pursuing my dreams.

Until next week,
Eileen Bau