Tuesday, January 20, 2015

1/19 Weekly Update #17: Sewenteen, Sir!

Dear reader,

Can you do a Russian accent? The reason for this week's post title involves one. In the 2009 Star Trek reboot movie, Officer Anton Chekhov miraculously pulls off an engineering feat to save the ship, upon which Dr. McCoy asks him, "How old are you?", and Chekhov replies with "Seventeen, Sir!", except in a Russian accent, so it comes out as "Sewenteen".

Even though this entire exchange took all of 10 seconds, it really resonated with me. Oftentimes, people misunderstand or underestimate me because of my age, just like how McCoy didn't believe Chekhov could pull off something like that at 17. This is a big thing in ISM: we accomplish many things at a highschool age that many people don't expect us to be able to do.

However, we are lucky to have an astounding support network. Personally, I know I am extremely lucky to have found a mentor who is encouraging and helpful yet shares control of this mentorship with me. For the past week, I have been making my Original Work a reality and I had my first mentor visit!

My first mentor visit was amazing. I learned, in a couple hours, possibly more than I have in the past couple of months about how an ad agency runs. I got to see what it's like to work with clients and what it's like to conduct true market research. I also received priceless advice on how to conduct the research on my Original Work.  Speaking of, once my Original Work is finished, I will upload it on here. There is so much more to come.

Until next time,
Eileen Bau