Sunday, October 5, 2014

10/6 Weekly Update #5: Fifth Dimension

Dear Reader,

We all know that the first dimension is a line, the second dimension is any flat figure, and that the third dimension is an object. The fourth dimension is time itself. But what about the 5th dimension?

It has been said that the 5th dimension is the tesseract. Of course, this is completely theoretical. The tesseract is a funky concept. If you imagine all of time as a string, and you place a tiny person on one end of the string and ask her to walk to the other end, it would take forever (literally). But if you take the string and touch the two ends together, then the tiny person can just hop on over to the end of time. Or to any point in time, wherever you've made the string touch. That's the tesseract: bending time (and probably space).

So what does this have to do with ISM? Well, ISM is sort of like a tesseract. Through my research, I can take little, temporary hops to the future and see what it might be like to work in the marketing field. I don't have a time machine, but I do have research interviews. This past week, I have had the opportunity to interview 2 professors at Southern Methodist University, both very experienced and very skilled in their marketing subdivision. They were able to provide me with invaluable insight and information, not only about marketing, but also about what college courses I should take, what options I have that are related to marketing, and life advice in general.

Because of this experience, I was able to form a clearer picture of what it could look like for future me in the marketing field. Hence, a small time-hop. Mentally, through what I learned from my research interviews, I can place my own tiny person at a future point in time and consider, is this really what I want to do? If I learn nothing at all this year, (which is impossible, since I've already learned so much) at the very least I will know whether or not I want to pursue marketing for real.

Apart from dabbling in theoretical science, which is totally related to marketing, I have still been preparing for Business Symposium. Refining my resume, beginning a portfolio, and improving my professionalism have been the top three things I've done this week. Business Symposium is actually this upcoming Friday, and I will have the opportunity to interact with a wide variety of professionals and go through mock interviews. The upcoming week will probably be the toughest week yet, since it will be my first real experience with professional networking. Let the games begin.

Until next time,
Eileen Bau